Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, February 26, 2023

Sigh

I never knew much about Scott Adams. I found 'Dilbert' mildly amusing, but it wasn't my favourite strip or anything. I could relate to some of it, but there were others, such as 'Cathy' or 'Calvin and Hobbes' that I related to more.

After reading some of the comments he made and about his history of controversy, I believe he's basically an irrelevant whackado, and can therefore be dismissed.  I'm sure some will say, 'but he has the right to free speech'. Well, of course, he does--this is America. But...freedom of speech really only applies when you are threatened with government action to suppress your beliefs.  It doesn't mean you have the right to escape all consequences of your words. The newspapers and other consumers are in no way obligated to buy his products. A lot of people simply do not understand that and try to justify hate speech, conspiracy theories, and all sorts of messed-up stuff in the name of freedom of speech.

Newspapers have dropped the 'Dilbert' comic strip after a racist rant by its creator

No comments: