Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, February 19, 2023

In the past week

 I have:

  1. Made an appointment with a local therapist.
  2. Had a telehealth appointment with my psychiatrist.
  3. Had my meds adjusted by 50 mg twice a day.
  4. Entered a telephonic behavioural programme through my insurance that allows for therapy and coaching with two different people each week for seven weeks [the same programme where the screener ran me through the DASS-21, which said I was severely depressed]. I have my appointment on Tuesday evening and the second on Thursday evening.
  5. Had an in-person appointment with my new therapist to establish care.
  6. Taken the DASS-21 again and came out mild on depression, anxiety, and stress, with anxiety the greatest. (It's just for the past week at a time; because I have Bipolar II, my mood can vary quite a bit from one to another.  In fact, last night I couldn't sleep, and I don't know if it was too much caffeine or swinging towards hypomania).
Having taken steps to deal with my mood issues, I feel better this week.  Also, my boss has been very understanding of how difficult it has been to get up and barely make it under the wire when clocking in or even being slightly late.  She even wrote me an encouraging note.  She lost her husband last year, so I think she gets depression.

The telehealth with my psychiatrist was early in the morning. The therapist is on Saturdays; the telephonic programme calls are in the evening, so they won't impact work that much.  Instead of three months, my doctor will see me in six weeks, and I have that appointment set up.

My goal this week is to get up on time and shower at least every other day.  At one point I was having so much trouble with it that I went six days without one. Let that sink in.

So, considering the week before last I was being given the suicide hotline number and the location of the nearest hospital that could deal with a mental health crisis, I think I'm doing better. I took my first dose of the increased lamotrigine last night (it's also called Lamictal; it's a seizure medicine also used as a mood stabiliser).

Since I came out with a lower depression score and my anxiety fuels a lot of my depression, we're going to start with dealing with frustration and anxiety in local therapy.  She suggested The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook by Edmund J Bourne as a beginning, and it turns out I already had it, so we're going to start with chapter one.  I told her that I did well with cognitive behaviour therapy and homework, which made her very excited, I think.  She also knew my former therapist (we think he retired or moved), who had helped me with my hoarding issues.

So I think I've started to go in the right direction.


No comments: