Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, January 27, 2017

Feeling a little better today

When I started work this morning I was very behind. I managed to get caught up on my charge entry, do the charge reconciliation, and finish an audit. I didn't manage to fill an interlibrary loan, which I'll have to do Monday, or much of anything else on the library side except for helping with equipment and filling the copiers, but overall, it wasn't a bad day. My orchid is starting to open just a bit, and should be flowering Monday at full colour, which makes me happy. It's hard to believe that just yesterday I had to resist the urge to destroy the almost-open buds as part of my foul mood. But I did resist, and they're blooming today. Yay!

A wants a ride to the store later this evening, so I can't really start on my laundry yet. I think I'll work on that book review in the meantime. Yes, they said that it could be submitted for the next issue, but I'd like to go ahead and do that. I've already finished the game notes, and we play this weekend, especially if I--long story--finish that book review first.

I'd like see the movie Sing while it's still in the cinema, and had thought of using my free tickets for it with YKWIA tomorrow. But I'll have to see what plans may be in the offing.

I'm also almost finished with the book The Cave and the Light: Plato and Aristotle and the Struggle for the Soul of Western Civilization by Arthur Herman. I'd like a paperback version. I've really enjoyed it as an historical survey through Western thought, philosophy, theology, and science. It makes me think of my major professor when I was in the history programme, E. Randolph Daniel. As far as I know, he is alive and well, but last night I dreamt of his funeral, only it wasn't him, just someone with the same name. It was a weird dream. I'd like to send him a note to thank him for being a great teacher. I've meant to send it for awhile. He's been retired for about 16 years; if I want him to get it, I should send it soon. But I loved having him as a professor of Mediaeval history, and he put up with my issues, especially while I was going through my divorce.

Okay, time to read the book for review. It's a book on communication and having difficult conversations in the workplace. Considering my fear of confrontation, I think it would be a good read for me.

No comments: