Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, January 22, 2016

A lazy day

Well, other than keeping an eye on the snow, taking copious breaks by ‘napping’, eating a couple of times today, checking the news, rerouting my digital antenna to the window using the newly free cables so I get better reception (it kept going out on the newscast at inopportune moments until I did that), reconnected my speakers to the power supply and laptop, etc., I haven’t done much. Oh, and I finally took a shower, because I couldn’t stand it anymore. Officially, our snowfall so far is 6 inches at the airport. On my side of town, it looks more like 8, although it’s hard because the winds have caused quite a bit of drifting. The roads are apparently being difficult—the interstates are being taken at 30 mph as the safest driving speed. Man O’War looks completely covered right now. The road crews have been working very hard, but we’ve just had snowburst after snowburst.

While I haven’t done much of anything on my list, I have tonight and tomorrow to do so. In fact, I think I might watch a DVD and read tonight, and get my laundry together and the dishes, and I’ll be happy with that and do the rest tomorrow and, if need be, Sunday. I’m not sure when I’ll get the car out on the road. The drifts are up on my car up to almost the top of my tyres, for example. I don’t own a snow shovel. Last year, during the 10+ inch snowfalls, I was lucky because one neighbour helped me to get out, and then on the second a couple of women driving by saw me out with a broom and dug me out. While it was absolutely great that they all did that, I can’t rely on that. I really need to invest in one of those small collapsible shovels, at least, at some point. Our winter season is just really getting going, after all.

I’ve seen exactly two regular vehicles going by the window today while I’ve been up and watching the snow. There’s a snow plough doing the parking lot right now. The stairs that were shoveled hours ago are impossible to distinguish at this point, especially in the dusk’s fading light, due to the drifts.

The governor has declared a state of emergency for the state; a lot of counties have, too. We’re not to that yet, so people are out and about. But some parts of the state will get at least 20” of snow.

I am very glad that I didn’t go out today. The afternoon commute would have been very difficult for me. Driving is a source of anxiety on a normal day. I actually take BuSpar for my driving anxiety. Earlier I said jokingly that if I’d gone to work, I would have had to have taken 2-3 of them to get home during a phone conversation. YKWIA chimed in that I’d need a BuSpar drip, which quite frankly, isn’t far off. Even my PT was asking why my back pain had flared up. Part of it is that a couple of sessions had been cancelled due to issues in his family (he’d had a funeral and the birth of his child to attend). But part of it is even the small 3-4” snowfall we had made me very tense as I drive. There’s been two injury accidents so far in the city today, with about 35 non-injury ones. That’s not too bad, considering, but I think most people just stayed off the road, which helped.

Earlier A called me and asked me jokingly if I was going to come to get him from work. He took the bus early this morning and even though it wasn’t snowing yet, the buses were on their snow plan, so the bus driver honked at him from across the street and got him to come over, as the stop he was at wasn’t being serviced. He was at work alone in his department today (he is a central sterile tech, and they had quite a few surgeries that were not cancelled, so he pretty much had to be there). He did have a ride home from work, at least. I heard on the news earlier that LexTran was actually shutting down night service after 8 pm tonight, and resuming at 7:30 am tomorrow. I’m going to check on him in just a bit.

There’s only one flight to Detroit going out of the airport tonight, according to what they just said on the news. Wow. So glad I wasn’t going to Chicago today.

Okay, I think I’m going to sign off here, turn off the news, and call A. Take it easy out there. Good night for now.

No comments: