Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, November 07, 2013

Owie

So I managed to turn my ankle right after I got out of the car in my parking lot at home. This is the same ankle I broke last year. I think I'm okay--it's just a bit sore, as is my knee and hip on that side. My klutziness still rules supreme. I need to be careful--several co-workers have fallen in various places of late, and I don't want to be the next one. I haven't had trouble since the ankle healed with rolling over (I have at tendency to supinate when I walk, which means my weight is borne by the outside edges of my feet.) This is especially true of my right foot, which was turned just a bit when I was born and which I don't pick up as well as my left, so when I do fall or turn my ankle, it's usually that side. But I think the screws in my ankle actually gave me a bit more stability. Still, there's always a chance I'll go over. Of course, my klutziness had nothing to do with the injury last year, as someone ran over my foot while I was crossing the street in the crosswalk, which pinned me briefly and then the car side hit me while my foot was trapped, breaking my ankle. It was very quick, very freaky. I was very lucky it wasn't worse, and that I healed well. I filled an interlibrary loan yesterday of an article about complications with ankle fractures in people with diabetes, and a lot of bad things could have happened that didn't. So I'll be more careful, and hopefully won't break anything else. :)

No comments: