Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, October 16, 2008

It was a good day, overall

and much better than yesterday. Last night when I worked at the store, the other CSR (customer service representative, our official title, meaning clerk, really) did not call or show up for work, so I was alone with a fair amount of traffic in terms of customers served. I was also pre-menstrual (I know, too much information), and I guess I was having a bit of anxiety over working alone at night (I do it normally on Saturdays for a couple of hours during the day, but it seems a little more menacing at night, like I've got a big target on my head that says, 'rob me!') Anyway, this guy came in and somewhat crudely explained he had to go to the bathroom and it needed cleaning, with the ladies' room occupied, so I cleaned it and then once he was inside just started crying. Not bawling, but visibly upset. I guess it was a combination of hormones, anxiety, not having taken my meds yet that day, and his manner as a trigger. A couple of customers who were regulars were very kind as I tried to hold it together, and when the guy came out he saw me crying and hugged me. Gods, I'm so embarrassed, but at least it's in the past. Turns out my co-worker apparently got caught in court until late (I don't know why) and then on the Interstate coming back her car caught on fire and her cell had no signal.

Today was much better. I spent most of my day at the library working on some details for a grant we're writing that will hopefully pay for updates to the library and family resource centre as well as electronic resources. Then I picked up some meds from the pharmacy, came home, took a 20-minute nap, and headed to work at the station. The girl did come in today, and it wasn't that busy. Customers are generally happy because gas is $2.81 a gallon. Would you have imagined we'd be happy about that ten years ago?

Then it was over to a friend's to read some Lumley. Now I'm home and I've gone through lots of stories in my news reader. I think I should head for bed. I want to get up a little earlier tomorrow and do some straightening up and clearing the living room floor of boxes of books so I can start yoga. I went to the clinic which has been treating the pain in my elbow and I told the doctor it has mostly resolved. Since much of it seems to be postural, they are really recommending yoga, and it is one activity I really enjoy. I have a tape I especially like, called AM Yoga, with Rodney Yee. Anyway, I thought I'd give it a try. And if I don't wake up early enough in the morning, there are a couple of hours between jobs tomorrow. Good night.

No comments: