Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, March 27, 2008

So I was at Walgreens


getting almost all of my meds refilled, when I came across the LifeScan OneTouch UltraMini, a new glucometre that's about 1 inch by 4 inches, much slimmer than my OneTouch Ultra. Even with the carrying case and supplies, it's fully only 3/4 of the size of the Ultra, and lately I've had a very packed purse, so I was intrigued.

It's very basic compared to some of the others on the market, but it does everything mine does, including being compatible with the LifeScan software you can get for the computer. I just put mine into an Excel spreadsheet, but hey, you never know if I'd like to get the software and cable later.

The nicest thing is that it is only $19.99 and covered by my flexible spending account. It uses the same strips I'm using now--the only ones covered by my insurance.

Granted, there was nothing technically wrong with my metre, although it is several years old. However, my lancing device that allowed me to test on my forearm or palm died a long time ago, and I've been using a generic one that can only do fingers. A new lancer retails for about $24.99, although I've seen it as low as $12. A compact lancing device that allows for alternate test sites is included with this kit. My fingers have gotten pincushioned a lot now that I'm testing twice a day, so that's a concern.

So, anyway, as you've probably guessed, I got it. Mine is 'pink glow' in colour (they come in silver, black, and gold, too) but it's not a bright pink, more a subtle metallic one, as you can see in the picture. It looks for all the world like an .mp3 player or maybe something along the lines of a pen shaped flash drive, and fits in my purse nicely. If I didn't take all the stuff that I normally do (the logbook, the lancets, control solution, etc.) it would easily fit in a pocket. So I think it was a good deal. Granted, I know, I'm justifying. The fact that I didn't have to lay out money from my bank account was a plus, though. It's easy to use, too--I tried it out right off the bat.

As for the old one, I may keep it as a backup or more likely, give it away through the local Freecycle group, so someone else can benefit from it.

No comments: