Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Snow and hot chocolate

Ice pellets were coming down earlier after an evening of rain, but that was okay because the ice had not built up on my car too badly and the roads (I was using main roads, except for the one I started out on) were in really good shape.

A half an hour later, 1/4-1/3 inch of snow lay on top of all that, and that made for a harrowing trip home, trying to see the edges of Man O'War through my freezing windshield and in one case nearly spinning out on Armstrong Mill. Fortunately not only did I come to a stop short of the intersection (and I was being really, really careful, mind you), but I managed to stop on the pad I couldn't see that triggers the lights. Otherwise I could have sat there all night. Across the street, someone turned from Man O'War onto Armstrong Mill and did a 360 degree spin out, but managed to stay in the middle of the street away from anything dangerous, and there were no other cars. The only one I really encountered was a semi-truck (sans trailer, thankfully) which nearly sideswiped me.

So now I'm home, I'm in, I'm having the hot chocolate that's five years old I found in the back of my cupboard. And now I'm going to bed. It's been a long day and my neck is hurting where I carried all the tension of driving in it.

No comments: