Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, February 10, 2008

I stayed up to 5 am Saturday morning

doing my taxes, and I'm going to have to pay again, to the tune of $800. I really need to check my W-4s because something's screwy. I'm not totally finished, because I have to get a file I keep in my desk at work of my medical expenditures. The deductions don't help for federal but they do for Kentucky's state, since they exceed the standard deduction. Also, this year I found a version of TurboTax that is free for both my federal and state returns due to my income and where I live.

I ran the numbers and there's no way to have all of it by April 15th, so I'll have to continue paying on a payment plan. That rebate we're supposed to get may just wind up going back to the government, which I think defeats the purpose of the rebate. I also don't know how much I'll get. At one point the house bill was $300 under $23,000 and $600 above, but the combined bill is more complicated and they really didn't explain what was meant by 'seniors, disabled veterans, and OTHER LOWER-INCOME' people getting only $300. Turns out I'm right BELOW $23,000, so if it's the same, I'm screwed, even though it's a matter of about $400 difference in income. We'll see.

Anyway, I've been up late two nights in a row (although at least on Saturday I got to sleep until 1 pm, but I had to work from 2-10). Time for bed. Good night.

No comments: