Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Happy Birthday, America

Well, I only got a little burned at the Fourth of July festival, mainly on my shoulder where my seat belt and purse go. I bought a couple of pairs of earrings, the traditional funnel cake, and some lemonade. Then I watched the parade, which seemed very, very long. Somebody with a sense of humour arranged to have military oil tankers followed by the Unitarian kids calling for peace. The Fairness folks had a good contingent, too. I donated $5 to Fairness (which works for equality based on sexual orientation), talked to a woman from the chorus, and got a rainbow-coloured diversity ribbon magnet for my car (made in America, by the way, just so you don't think I'm supporting the Chinese-made yellow ribbon industry). I also gave $1 to the National Organisation for Women (NOW) and got a bumper sticker that says 'a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle' and managed to offend one of my male friends with that one. I did miss the fireworks, though; my friend and I were eating and I got to the display right after they finished.

It's been good to be off, to take a bit of a break. This next little bit will be very busy at work, so I felt like I got to recharge a bit.

No comments: