Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Sunday, September 19, 2004

Today's Blogsticker: Almighty Bumperstickers



Yes, I know, somewhat irreverent. But, I think those 'God is my copilot' are as well, and they're also just stupid. Plus, they're generally referring to some sort of narrow über-Evangelical view of God. For those of you not living in an area overrun by this sort of mentality (and I do, living in the Bible Belt), you'll find such gems as 'In case of Rapture, this vehicle will be empty'. I'm sure it's a nice sentiment, although I also think there are a few out there who might be suprised when the big day arrives. So, instead, I like:



and, given the terrible state of driving in the Commonwealth of Kentucky (which requires absolutely no training--it used to be 30 days on permit, no driver's ed required. Now they at least require six months of driving on permit):



and in response to the ubequitous 'What Would Jesus Do?' stickers:



Somewhere, there's people thinking that a Pagan making fun of those bumperstickers on a Sunday is going to get me sent straight to Hell. But then, if that's the case, they've got too much Devil and not enough God on their minds, and should really be looking themselves over instead, don't you think?

PS I checked this post, and had accidentally typed 'Dog' for 'God' on the first one. I don't think I'm dyslexic, but I seem to get that one wrong a lot, which is not good. Of course, one nice thing about recognising the feminine side of Deity is that I can't do the same to 'Goddess'. Silly English language. The Romans never had this problem.

No comments: