Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, January 04, 2003

Ah, the Saturday after a two-day workweek :)



When I woke up: 13:13 EST, then back to sleep from about 3pm-7:30. Didn't exactly mean to do that, but I moved the painting into the other room, let all the animals in (Spock was pining, and he's fifteen for pete's sake, why not let him cuddle, too?), and we all became a solid ball under the covers. I think they velcroed to me.
What I'm reading: The Man Who Fell to Earth, by William Tevis. This was recommended to me some time ago by my creative writing teacher, Gurney Norman. William Tevis had been a Kentucky native, and much of the book is set in this area. Gurney encouraged me to instill my writing, which is mainly science fiction and phantasy, with my knowledge and love of my home. He knew that I was proud to be Southern and of the tie I felt to the land; my family's been here since the eighteenth century, and even though I wasn't raised here full-time, it was always home. Tevis' language is wonderful; it draws you in and makes you feel like you're listening to music or poetry without realising it. I never saw the movie with David Bowie, but I can see why he was chosen for the role. I understand the book is supposed to be very different. I highly recommend it.
High point of day: Going to Fazoli's, getting a broccoli lasagna, drink, freezie, and cookie using a gift card (thanks Dwana!) that I got for the holidays, and reading in the sunshine. The amount of carbohydrates and the lack of metformin at the moment (forgot to get in touch with my doctor) probably contributed to said nap, above.
What I've watched: My Spiderman video--finally, seeing as I've had it for about a month and a-half. Enjoyed the little comic humour details like "incredible", "amazing", and running like he's Superman. [For those of you who have not been graced by comic knowledge, Spiderman is a Marvel title, Superman is DC.] When I was a kid, I subscribed to Spiderman and Star Wars, both Marvel. We moved around so much, and with comic stores off base, I wasn't able to finally get them until I started having them mailed to me in high school, after my parents divorced and we'd moved back to Kentucky. I think Peter Parker was the perfect hero for someone in my position--a geeky kid with no friends in a new place and too much imagination. I never could relate as well to Superman because, well, he just wasn't as vulnerable emotionally. Years later when I worked in a comic store, I tended to read DC, especially Sandman [which is not a superhero thing at all] and Legion of Superheroes [which is, sort of]. Even with a discount there was no way to keep up with all the stories of all the many titles of Spiderman and X-Men, and they'd done strange things in the intervening years where there were alternates to Peter Parker, etc., as Spiderman. I think the movie captured the spirit of the comic I loved.
Looking forward to: Tomorrow's game. I suspect more mayhem that will probably get all of our characters killed. But what can you do but trudge on. I tell you what, though--Spiderman's got it right--it's a lot easier to save the world than to deal with a bunch of well-organised, well-armed bunch of lunatics who try to take out the people you love, superpowers or not. And fiction or real world, it's what people can do to you emotionally or spiritually that's more important than what they can do to you physically.
Also looking forward to: Zabet and P's return. I missed them a little last night, when we usually play Scrabble and watch movies. I hope they're having a good time. I know neither Zabet nor I, who are both military brats, have a great record with keeping up with old friends, and I'm not sure what'll happen when they go away to Oregon for good. Of course, we didn't have e-mail back when I was losing touch with my childhood friends, so maybe it'll be different, especially so long as they don't drop off radar like our friend Tracy who works for NASA, who we finally found but never hear from. [Hint, Tracy, hint!] Still, I know it's important to Zabet to get away, although I'm not sure she's really going to find what she's looking for so long as she is looking for it. I suspect if she does, it's going to be one of those awful Wizard of Oz moments where she realises it was with her all along. I hate those moments; I suspect she does, too, but we all have them. Still, she's worlds ahead of where I was at her age, so more power to her.
Which reminds me: There is someone I would love to hear from, main male friend when I lived in Louisiana. His dad retired and they moved to Bossier City and we lost contact. Some of my best memories of my childhood were spent with him, when we were eight or nine. He taught me to whistle. So, on the rough chance that he ever puts his own name into Google to see if anything shows up, I'm going to put it here. Paul Scarboro (Paul Scarborough?), it's Lisa from Barksdale. Remember tracking what we thought were marijuana growers in the woods, or how afraid Kevin was of your poodle, Astro? Remember saving me from the snakes and stuff at the bottom of Flag Lake, and the day you stepped on a beer bottle there? Remember "fishing" with pop tabs and twine? Drop me a line. :) I'd also love to hear from Jody Sauers, Julia Hollinshead (both from Barksdale) and Deana Headley (from Belle Plaine). You all are even harder to find because you're girls, and who knows what your names are now. We're all in our mid-30s now, how weird.

Well, I think that's enough for tonight. I have some research on canopic jars to do. :) Toodle-loo.

No comments: