Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, August 21, 2002

Some news items that piqued my interest...



Bob Herbert's multi-segment syndicated column (just now reaching our newspaper) on a racial witch hunt in Texas. Click here for the first segment. You may have to register with the New York Times, but this is free.

We've had our first West Nile Death confirmed here in Kentucky.

Newsweek has an article on blogs (which gave me a clue about this blog, where Julius Caesar blogs his way through Gaul--as someone with a degree in Classics, I loved it!), and a TipSheet mention of Plus Size fashion doll. I bet she can take Barbie!

Another thing from Newsweek, although it wasn't news. There's an ad from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting for Understanding America after 9/11 a week-long look at how life has and will change. It shows the current skyline of Manhattan with the pre-9/11 skyline reflected in the water, with the words "it's amazing how long a shadow they still cast". It is fairly understated, non-exploitative; I'm hoping the programming will be as well. They're supposed to be talking to different people across America, rather than professional commentators.

I have't figured out what I'm going to do that day. I have an appointment for my annual exam at 9 am that day. Part of me doesn't want to go; but my first thought was to go back to the room where I watched everything unfold that day and watch any memorials that might be shown; but I also don't want to get sucked into a media event. I think I'll go on to the appointment, sort of keep life going on, but light candles and say prayers later on in the day.

I know it sounds crazy that a year later I, who only knew one person in the towers (who got out okay), none in the Pentagon, lost no family, etc., etc.--but I really do not think I can treat it like an ordinary day. It's like the world slipped on its axis, sending everything akilter, and then righted itself, but not before the damage was done. I'm sure there are those who think it humbled America. Well, I agree that Americans can act like arrogant bastards. But it didn't humble America--it matured her. But what it did more than anything was remind us of the fragility of human life, and the darkness that lurks in some hearts, and the importance of reaching out to others.

In that vent, let me just say that I sympathise with those in Europe and Asia who are undergoing such difficult times due to the flooding. As a human, I mourn the loss of life and of livelihoods. As a librarian, I mourn the loss of historical and cultural treasures, and I hope that with determination and aid, these lives can be rebuilt--not replaced, forever changed, but that those who survive overcome their struggles and achieve their dreams.

Gee, I guess that was pretty sappy. I should sign off for now. But, really, now's the time to come together as a world to stand united on the things that matter--and our response to disaster is one of those things.

No comments: