Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, August 03, 2002

Quick, a Friday Five before Saturday hits...



1. What is your lineage? Where are your ancestors from?
As far as I know, it's Irish, Scot, English, Welsh, Cherokee, Blackfoot, and French Hugenot.

2. Of those countries, which would you most like to visit?
I pine for Britain. I think my Irish skin would bloom in the climate there, whereas I just look pale and ruddy here in the Southern U.S. If I ever go I might just stay. I have frumpy English genes and a romantic Celtic soul. I've visited the Cherokee, North Carolina reservation, but I haven't been up north to Blackfoot country.

3. Which would you least like to visit? Why?
France, I think. One, they made life very difficult for my ancestors, who also came via Britain. Two, my French is atrocious. I can read the language but I cannot pronounce it and they would just think I was silly. I'm sure they already have their fill of silly Americans. But I'd still love to see France, especially the south, Langue d'Oc and Provence.

4. Do you do anything during the year to celebrate or recognize your heritage?
I'm very keen on Celtic music and culture. No special sort of thing, just a year-round awareness. I don't want to be one of those "white wannabes" who spurt lots of Indianese, but I have read about both tribes, their history, and current life.

5. Who were the first ancestors to move to your present country (parents, grandparents, etc)?
The first one I know of was Eduoard Bompasse, who came to this country in 1693 on the second ship to come to Plymouth colony after the Mayflower. Most of my ancestors have been in Kentucky since about 1790, having received land for service in the Revolutionary War. So, pretty far back.

Well, that's the Friday Five from me, albeit just over into Saturday. Happy Birthday, Momma!

No comments: