Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, August 19, 2002

Apparently I am even weirder than the weirdest person I know...



I had my friend D take the weirdness test. Now, one thing about D. He is legend for being eccentric, weird, etc. People who don't even know him are convinced he's weird. But, alas, I am weirder than he. I might understand if there were any questions on whether or not you've ever been part of a "tri-unity". But no, they were actually pretty normal--for a weirdness test, anyway. That is frightening to me. I'm interested in having Zabet and her hubby take it when they get back from South Carolina. Maybe they'll come out weirder. I dunno, though....

I'm over at the University Student Centre. I came over a little early for my DBT group so I could put a cheque into the credit union. They've got a line of computers set up in what used to be the cafeteria room so you can go online while you eat. That's a definite improvement, although I don't think it would be that viable when the students start hitting in large numbers. Thankfully, that won't happen until next week. Now there's Long John Silver's and KFC, and a host of non-franchised alternatives. (Hey, at least those restaurants are based in this state). My first job was in this food court. I flipped burgers at the grill for $3.15 an hour. This is where I first found out about the Space Shuttle explosion in '86. My boyfriend and I spent the next nine hours or so in shock in one of the TV rooms watching them replay it over and over. Downstairs there was the student organisations room that we called the Zoo where all the computer geeks hung out talking on Phone under the old Prime system, nuking each other on the Vax, playing marathon sessions of Rook and Hearts, planning destruction to dungeon crawlers, and setting up the next SCA excursion. Now it seems more colourful, kind of cooler, but like it sold out somewhere along the way. I guess it just reflects how things have changed in general. But some things don't changed. The gaming geeks still roleplay downstairs. And I'm sure that everyone huddled in the TV rooms on Sept. 11th last year, asking themselves how something like this could have happened. It's still a kind of home for me, even though it's been brought up to the new millenium's expectations. I used to think I'd never escape school. Then I really missed it. Now I'm nostalgic but see it as the closed world it was. Hmmm...

No comments: