Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, July 23, 2002

musings...in no particular order of priority



Zabet did a quiz on "what flower are you?" where she came out a Venus Flytrap. I, on the other hand, came out a Rose.

Strange friendship, hmmm???
-----------------------
They took our demo digital copier back today. It's back to the loud one of doom. :( On a brighter note, there's a good chance we'll get it as a replacement come November. (Fingers crossed).
-----------------------
Social interchange at a workplace ice cream social:
Me:"Oh, ----, what is in your pendant?"
Person: "Oh, it's my mother's remains."
Me:"That's very nice." Smile.
Actually, it was quite lovely. I was just expecting something like shells, etc. from Thailand, the person's home country. It makes perfect sense to me, but I'm afraid my co-workers turned a little green.
-----------------------
Today I picked up my diet Coke for a drink and was terribly surprised to find something wet crawling on my tongue. I'm afraid I quite spewed in an un-ladylike fashion a small bee that had crawled into the can. Fortunately both the bug and I survived, although I needed a washout of my mouth and chocolate to recover. It was probably more traumatic from its point of view. But obsessive-compulsives, even those of us who are bug-friendly, do not like these sorts of surprises.
-----------------------
I brought to work a copy of a book I have called "Saint Vitus Dances Eternity: A Sarajevo Ghost Story." It's in English and Bosnian. It was published by White Wolf as an accessory to their Wraith game, with proceeds going to Bosnian aid funds. I explained to one of my co-workers, who is Bosnian, that it might upset her, but I also knew she wanted to improve her English, and both are on the same page. I'm going to let her borrow that and some other books I have on the Balkans (Fax from Sarajevo, Zlata's Diary). She was so busy fleeing the war there that she never got to read what the rest of the world was exposed to. I would definitely suggest picking up a copy of Zlata's Diary if I were you. It puts the war into a much more personal perspective. I'm not sure if the others are available; they both were things I got through a comic store I worked in at the time.
-----------------------
The other day I went to our public library for the first time since they installed a Foucault Pendulum clock in the lobby. I could literally sit and watch that all day. I did some research online (I wasn't sure exactly how it worked) and found that there's a curious mystery surrounding Foucault Pendulums and solar eclipses. Check out this for more.
-----------------------
That's it for now. I could give a long diatribe about the men who seem to be snatching young girls from their homes across the country, but to be honest, I'm so upset about it I can't write about it. Let's just say that I agree with Zabet's comments about the person who tortured a kitten, both in regards to that crime, and these. What these men have done is despicable. And in terms of the latest abduction, I can't understand why anyone would go into one of the poorest areas of a city, grab a kid, and then demand a ransom. I pray the latest child (and Elizabeth Smart, who is still missing) will be returned to their families. But I'm still haunted by the face of Samantha Runnion, and I can't understand how anyone could harm a child.

No comments: