Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, November 17, 2006

Crazy

1 shot in Connecticut during robbery attempt waiting for Playstation 3, several others shot with BBs at a Lexington, Kentucky Best Buy

I'm not sure which is crazier--camping out for a video game system or shooting people camping out. Agh. In the Lexington case, a reporter was one of four people injured as she was interviewing a camper. One has to wonder about people who do drive-by shootings with cameras rolling. Go figure. Fortunately it doesn't seem like anyone was injured too severely, although I didn't find any details on the Connecticut man's condition. The Playstation 3 went on sale today to the tune of $500 or so. Many people hope to score big either in terms of playing the latest games or selling the consoles on eBay for much more cash. Even though the system is considered the must-have toy of the season, as a friend pointed out, these aren't people waiting in line for kids. These are mostly college geeks or people who have taken off from regular jobs to camp out for essentially a bunch of plastic gadgetry which will be obsolete in a year or two, just to be 'first'. I just don't get it, myself, and its a very expensive magic bean otherwise. Of course, the only video games I have are an old Nintendo system (the original) and one of those joysticks that play 80 of the '80s games. I play the rest of any games I have on a computer, which can be used for other things. I'm just not the video game player in the family. That would be my mom. I wonder if she keeps up with the latest systems. :)

No comments: