Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Thursday, December 29, 2005

I came in this morning

to find a card on my desk from someone anonymous, with a cheery holiday wish and $20 in it. I'm thrilled, of course, but I kind of feel funny taking it, too, especially as I'm not quite as destitute as I have been throughout the year thanks to the new (third) job. But it will be a nice cushion for some groceries, etc. So, thank you, whoever you are. I promise that I'll pass on the goodwill when I can to someone who needs it, too. And Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, to you as well.

I went through the money I still have after my paycheques at the gas and television stations and I have enough to pay my electric, get some more gas, get the tyre my car needs, and still have some for food. Next week I get paid at the hospital and the gas station, and that together makes my rent, and on time to boot. Because it'll be on time, that's about $35 in late fees avoided. I've budgeted out for the next six months at least on a preliminary basis, and my rent should be on time throughout that period. The gas station's weekly paydays really helps in the cash flow department; even though I'm not getting much, it adds a cushion I didn't have before. I actually may be able to start saving next month! And so far I budgeted based on how much I was making at 10 hours a week, when I've been working 19 of late. So that's just a little extra to go to debts and savings.

In the meantime, I went ahead and paid a back balance with the cable company and as of next Tuesday I'm getting Internet service from them. They had a special deal and I didn't have to pay for installation (as I'm doing it myself). This will help me with my second job at the television station because much of what I do is on the Internet, and I can work from home at hours when the office is closed but still keep up with e-mail, etc. Just not paying the rent late will pay for most of that. I'm not getting cable itself, one because of the extra cost and two because I don't watch much TV and when I do I usually watch with a friend over at his house. I tend to spend my free time on the computer instead. What I would like to eventually do, though, after paying back another debt, is to get Vonage phone service. It's $15 a month and it would really help keep up with friends and family and also in terms of job hunting better than my little pay-as-you-go cell phone, which is really better for emergencies, but not great for chats and rants.

On another totally unrelated note, I'm trying a different tack with my feet. I know, time will help. But I'm having ginger feet for a day or two after working and hobbling around like an old woman. I've actually been tempted to use those scooter carts in the grocery due to the pain. So...I took the gel soles and transferred them to my old pair of short boots. They've got ankle support, lots of room for my toes (I think they're boy's shoes) and I can't roll onto the outer edges of my foot as much as with my other shoes. Granted, they're a dark brown that doesn't really match my office wear that well, but my feet feel better than they have in days. I'm definitely trying these tomorrow at the station to see if that helps.

No comments: