Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Monday, August 01, 2005

Xena???

Spotted beyond Pluto, the tenth rock from the Sun

Scientists have submitted the name from the popular television show to denote the tenth planet from the sun. I'd like to see something a little more classical, myself, but of course many of the classical names denote other objects in the solar system. Still, I guess it would reflect the times, wouldn't it? :)

I wonder if Hekate/Hecate is taken by something else? I think it is. Anyone know? It would be appropriate, being beyond Pluto, and I'm pretty sure Persephone is already being used. Hmmm....

Meanwhile, this discovery fuels the debate over the status of Pluto as a planet or just another object in the belt of matter at the edge of our solar system. Since this object is one and a half times the size of Pluto, it would make little sense to reject it as a planet and keep Pluto.

Ah, the fun of astronomy.

No comments: