Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

A great overview of DBT

I spent a year undergoing Dialectical Behavioural Therapy within a group of people with similar issues. Even though my problems weren't as severe as some, they affected most of my life and I wanted to make a change. It was very helpful. At some point I might incorporate the responses I wrote out as 'homework' into this blog (it's set up very much like a weekly seminar, with worksheets and exercises to complete). But it never hurts to review skills, and lately I've found I've been making some bad choices, not handling stress as well, and I blew up emotionally all over a friend who really deserved better, so I thought it was time to look at the exercises again. I came across DBT Self Help, which includes the worksheets and handouts Marsha Linehan (who founded DBT) came up with, with her permission to post them. If you want to learn more about this type of therapy--which essentially teaches the skills we should have learnt all along but some of were never taught, check it out. I highly recommend them.

No comments: