Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, April 06, 2024

Almost time!!!

[CAVEAT: Some of the information on this post has been gleaned from reading various articles regarding eclipse safety. I'm not a medical person. Don't assume I'm right, although I do truly believe it's a good summation. Make sure you make your own informed choices by reading reputable articles. And if all else fails, view the eclipse indirectly by creating a shadow through a pinhole. Be safe]

On February 26, 1979, when I was 11, our seventh-grade teachers took us outside for the solar eclipse with pinhole cameras. It was total in the Pacific Northwest and Canada, but partial in the Mojave desert, where I lived at Edwards Air Force Base. It captivated me, even though we missed totality. I have always wanted to see a total solar eclipse.. It's one of two things on my bucket list, and the other is seeing the Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights).

In 2017 I really wanted to go to Western Kentucky to see the totality, but my driving anxiety wouldn't allow for it any more than it will this year. For that matter, with the surgery, I didn't even think I'd be driving yet. I remember they handed out glasses at work and those of us could go out to the parking lot got to view the spectacle. We weren't in totality, but it was about 95% coverage, which was still pretty cool but not really that much of a difference in the light or anything. At that time, I had already looked up the 2024 eclipse, swore I took off, and hoped I could travel three hours into totality by going to Indiana or some such place.

But you know, clouds appear everywhere. I didn't want to spend a lot of money to get somewhere only to see nothing. I still don't know if the weather will work for us, as we have scattered thunderstorms in the forecast. I took off from work because in my current job it is busy when the eclipse is supposed to happen I wouldn't have been able to go outside. I'm going to watch it from my own yard, or perhaps the park near here. I have my glasses for me and my solar filter for my phone camera (do not take pictures without one). You will regret it. My roommate does not plan on participating. He's of the old belief, along with certain peoples such as the Hopi and Navajo, that it's a time to go inside and avoid the eclipse altogether, whether solar or lunar. Monday's eclipse will be about 96% coverage in Lexington. Be sure you get authentic glasses or use a pinhole in paper, cardboard, or aluminium foil to view the shadow of the moon over the sun. That's how we did it during the 1979 eclipse, casting a shadow on the light stucco walls of our school. It was still great, and safe. If you're near trees, watching the shadows through the leaves is also fun.

Glasses should definitely say ISO 12312-2 and be printed on them. Use a reputable company's glasses, such as those on this website here. I got some from Amazon and they are Celestron, a maker of telescopes on the approved list. But since anyone could print that, be sure, while inside, you try out the glasses and see absolutely nothing. Then try outside during a normal day and you should see only really bright reflections of the sun, like in a mirror--nothing else. The solar filter I have for my camera I didn't research, but later found out is compliant. It's called VisiSolar. Again, if in doubt, use the pinhole method, as it is safer. Also, if in the path of totality and you do get to take your glasses off for a couple of minutes while the sun is completely covered so you can see the corona, be sure to put them on very soon. The totality time varies. In Mexico it will be over four minutes; in Maine it'll be two. Any sun shining through as the moon moves from covering the sun can damage the eyes. Unlike sunburn, you can't feel pain in your eyes as there are no pain receptors in the retina, and you can't tell how badly you've damaged it. Do not look through magnifying instruments such as telescopes or binoculars without the solar filters meant for them. Be safe.

Still, if you take precautions, it'll be fun, weather permitting. If you can't see it due to the weather, be sure to check out livestreams on the Internet such as NASA's.

According to the Lexington Herald-Leader, Lexington is expected to see a partial eclipse between 1:51 p.m. and 4:24 p.m. The eclipse is expected to be at its peak around 3:09 p.m.

Enjoy!!!

No comments: